Nutrition for Caregivers
Part 3: Nutrition and the Immune System
by Lacy Ngo MS, RD
It’s cold, flu, and virus season, and you are caring for your loved one. You may be thinking to yourself, “I don’t catch something right now. Is there anything I can do to help my immune system?”
Well, while there is no one magic food or nutrient that can prevent bacterial or viral infections, including Covid-19, there are nutrients that can support your immune system. Moreover, if we become deficient and even marginally deficient in a nutrient, especially a nutrient involved in the immune system, our immune system will not function properly.
With that being said, let’s look at the best “Eating to Support the Immune System” Tips:
Eating to Support the Immune System
- Eat antioxidant-rich foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains, green tea, dark chocolate, and olive oil.
-Research has shown that antioxidants significantly improve certain immune responses.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin D, zinc, and vitamin C.
-Did you know that people with low vitamin D levels are more susceptible to colds, flus, and respiratory infections? Salmon and free-range eggs are a good source of vitamin D.
-Some research suggests that zinc may shorten the duration of colds by 33-40%. You can find zinc in meats, poultry, whole grains, nuts, and beans.
-Vitamin C is found in citrus fruits, tomatoes, red and green peppers, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts.
- Add herbs and spices like fresh garlic, turmeric (with black pepper), ginger, cinnamon, rosemary, and thyme to your meals.
-Studies show that these herbs contain immune-supportive antioxidants and may have some antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- Eat foods that contain probiotics, prebiotics, and fiber to support gut health.
-Probiotic-rich foods include yogurt, sour kraut, kombucha, and kimchi.
- Limit refined carbohydrates, fried foods, trans fat, sugar, alcohol, ultra-processed foods, and vegetable oils.
- Focus on getting nutrients from foods. Check with your doctor before adding supplements.
Want to Learn More about Immune Support Foods?
You can find a comprehensive guide to nutrition and the immune system here.
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- November 2017
- October 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- Nutrition for Caregivers: Nutrition and the Immune System January 14, 2021
- Grief in a New Year January 4, 2021
- Updated Visitor Policy December 28, 2020
- A Chance Encounter December 18, 2020
- Nutrition for Caregivers: Mindful Eating December 18, 2020